Physical inactivity or being sedentary is when you don’t move your body for long periods of time. This can include sitting on the sofa watching TV, and sitting at a desk or computer for long periods of time.
Physical activity, anything from doing small chores to exercise, is key to improving health. But what are the consequences of physical inactivity? Bellow, are some effects caused by inactivity:
· Lack of physical activity can add to feelings of anxiety and depression.
· Increases the risk for falls or injuries.
· Less active people have a greater risk of developing high blood pressure.
· Deteriorate sleep quality, bone and musculoskeletal health.
· Worsen the ability to perform everyday activities.
· Deteriorate cognitive ability and an increased risk of dementia.
Inactivity is described as a “silent killer”, its effects may go undetected for years or decades before a preventable disease or other consequences develops from it.